Thursday, September 4, 2008

Lighting...ooh la la



Over the years, I've sold hundreds of paintings online and have had the chance to meet some amazing people, most of whom I have never had the chance to meet in person since they usually live out of state or out of the country. Every now and then my collectors will send me photos of my work hanging in their homes or offices, which is always so cool!

So, lately I've been working a lot with clients in person as well, helping them to select work and, in some cases, to hang work in their homes.

Well, suddenly a light bulb went off...literally!

Better late than never, but I've started to notice that not everyone thinks about their lighting when hanging art. Which is something you just kind of take for granted as the artist sending your work out to the world without ever seeing where it will be hanging. But, lighting is just as crucial an ingredient to a painting as the paint itself. Adding a little light will completely transform the way a painting looks. The colors will change dramatically depending on the intensity of the light in the room.

This is especially true with my own work in particular.

When I paint, I I work under a full scope of lights to create interesting textures and colors, all the while sculpting the way that the light interplays with the surfaces I'm creating.

Anyway, I always have fun doing a little lighting demonstration for my clients. Their faces light up, pardon the pun, when I show them how adding light can make their painting "come alive."

No comments: