Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sculptor's Paradise


It's no secret that I am a huge fan of metallics. You see it everywhere hidden in my art, my paintings, my clocks, all over my wardrobe. And, boy do I love texture-so much so that I deem myself more of a paint sculptor than anything else. So, in order to really take those elements to new extremes, it makes total sense that I would feel a deep pull to full fledge sculpting. For the last few months I've been deeply engaged, thirsting if you will, to learn as much as I can about all the various sculpting techniques.

It was bound to happen when I recently moved to a new East Austin space...right next door, it turns out, to the largest metal recycling yard in town! From my third story, I've peered over that massive metal yard for over a year now, my mind churning with creative juices over the potential of tons and tons of random pieces and scraps of odds and ends, shapes and textures. Ah! An artist's treasure trove of underappreciated, lustrous metals waiting for their potential beauty to be discovered.

So, lately I've been busily studying sculpture in Austin with a very talented, master sculptor, Steve Dubov. I have learned how to bring my obsession with texture to it's absolute highest potential...pure 3d sculpture. My fascination at the moment lies in metals ie. copper, stainless steel and aluminum...clay feels fantastic too...squishing it between your fingers...but metal has my heart at the moment.

Anyway, today I just returned from my newest favorite pastime--pilfering through the metal recycling yard--where I found this box full of magic goodies. I know it looks like a pile of "whatever" to most, but to my imagination, it's pure Sculpting Heaven. The guys at the yard look at scrawny little me like they fear for my life in this moshpit of ten ton, back breaking steel. Little do they know, we are only JUST getting started..I'm certain we are going to become very good friends in the years to come!

Stay tuned to see what these diamonds in the rough turn into.......

Off to awe at my finds and gear up the drillpress.........

No comments: